- A New Data Challenge
- New seismic acquisition techniques are resulting in very large datasets that can be enlightening only if they can be successfully processed. Existing software was workstation based, unable to scale to terabyte-scale data. Potential billion barrel insights were left to cumbersome batch processing, with month-long timeframes and report-based workflows hostile to intuitive insight.
- Challenges included:
- Creating something “innovative but familiar” with highly gated access to the user community
- Creating a system to work with terabytes of seismic data instead of mere gigabytes
- Deep Geophysics & seismic process flows that required true intimacy with underlying market data
- Web Architecture to view and manipulate the data in near real time that had never been done on the web via a browser and not a fat desktop application
- Designing, building and supporting a complete subsurface visualization and analytics platform with 3D visualization, seismic interpretation and processing, and robust capacity for R&D experimentation
Real Time Insights
Expero created a novel user experience for the new web-based platform that has far exceeded the customer’s goals! The path was incredibly difficult, but the payoff was immense both from a technology and a new capability level for the Super-Major.
Expero designed a distributed high-performance computer and rendering system, enabling terabyte data to be interactively processed at 10 frames per second on existing compute clusters with users in a remote web browser-based reactive user experience.
From Initial Idea to First Rev of the Platform in 6 months!
Energy veterans saw a market opportunity born out of the ability to drive new revenue, cut cost and avoid mis-steps. From a 100+ page vision document, they needed to bring a new product to the marketplace with no known competitors or comparable capability.
Designed for an Expert User Audience
The Global energy company has been able to identify and find new and lucrative drilling opportunities. The ability to fundamentally synthesize potential drilling data and avoid millions of dollars in mis-directed well drilling and exploration is what has kept this super major at the top of the upstream energy game .
These interfaces are designed using cutting edge web technology but at the same time are used by lay-person & Ph.D’s alike.
New seismic acquisition techniques are resulting in very large datasets that can be enlightening only if they can be successfully processed. Existing software was workstation based, unable to scale to terabyte-scale data. Potential billion barrel insights were left to cumbersome batch processing, with month-long timeframes and report-based workflows hostile to intuitive insight.
Computing at Scale
Existing interpretation software worked interactively on small stacked seismic volumes at desktop scale — say a few gigabytes — and existing processing software worked in hour or day-long batch workflows on terabyte prestack volumes. Expero designed a compute infrastructure that worked at interactive speeds on the multi-TB prestack volumes, getting the best of both worlds.
- Geophysics Experts
- Seismic Analysts
- Risk Managers
- Drilling Execs & Managers
- Architecture and development of an in-memory compute infrastructure running on dozens of high performance computing nodes at millisecond latencies
- Product discovery and user experience design
- Extensive product owner and user interviews & design sessions
- Full Stack Development : Database, Middle Ware, App Serving & private cloud setup and management
- Build environment creation and maintenance, production support
- 3 months to prototypes & demos, 12 months to V1.0, continuous improvement thereafter. Full support and development team ongoing for multiple years
- 3-6 person team
- Agile development and prototyping process